Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Keeping It Real



I just returned from my traditional "Kate Date".  Devotedly every week my friend and I break free from our working mom lifestyles to chat, vent, laugh, cry, or validate whatever emotion the week conjured up inside us.  Sometimes we gush over baby and toddler books as we sip our Starbucks, pondering potty training methods or teaching our kids sign language.  Sometimes we indulge in decedent desserts as we listen and offer advice.  Sometimes we spill our thoughts over hot chowder and bread, too exhausted from the week to do anything but sit and talk.  Sometimes we laugh over spinach and artichoke dip, as we reminisce about memories with our husbands.  We have spirited discussions about whatever frustration, exhilaration, or impulse has currently taken hold of us.  I look forward to these nights like a child looks forward to opening presents at their birthday party.  These nights give me the freedom to express my true feelings and desires no matter how cynical or obscene they may be.  I leave refreshed and inspired to conquer my next project or embrace my passions.  I always return home posed to be the best wife, teacher, and mom I can be.  


"Let there be no purpose in friendship save the deepening of the spirit." -Kahil Gabran

Keep it real, make sure to take time and nurture a friendship for your "Kate Date".  

0 comments: