Sunday, April 15, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent

I know.
I'm not gonna lie.

I USED to think that only ultra conservative people that lived off grid in the country
made their own laundry soap.

But I have read several blogs of seemingly normal people
that make their own laundry soap.
So I was a little curious.

And I swear, I spend the majority of my life in that laundry room...
using a lot of detergent.

I've been researching recipes for a few months now, and finally found one I thought I might like.
I wanted something that worked and still made our clothes smell good.

Smell is important to me.

I found my recipe from How Does She.

The Oxy Clean and Purex crystals were optional...
but I have to wash Abby's clothes, so the Oxy Clean was not really optional for me...
and I like fresh laundry to smell good...because smell is important to me.
Like obsessively important to me.
I spent about $40 on this adventure.
Keep in mind my two optional ingredients I opted to include were nearly $20 of that total.
And obviously, the bucket and grater are reusable.

If you do 6 loads of laundry a week, it is suppose to last a year.
It only takes 1 to 2 Tablespoons a load.
A year people!
Is this really possible?!

I would say the hardest part was grating the bar soap.
Although I did feel rather proud, like I was a true pioneer woman doing it,
I would find a sucker to that part for you.
Your arm will thank you.
After that, it is just mixing and mixing and mixing.
I reused the Purex crystals bottle and am using the lid to measure my 2 Tablespoons a load.

I will let you know how this works out for me.
I have always been very brand loyal to Tide...I love the smell of Tide.
So we shall see.

For right now, I am just excited to do laundry, so that I can try my new homemade laundry soap.
Whoa. Back the bus up! Did I just say I was excited to do laundry?!
This stuff is already working miracles.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Mine is liquid and makes more loads, but doesn't have oxi clean or the purex softener stuff in it. I like the smell of mine in the bottle, but once the clothes are washed there's no smell at all. My problem with smells is that not everyone loves the same scent in my house. :) You'll have to share how it smells later!

Sharon said...

I'm curious how this turns out

kim said...

I've been using this for a couple months now. LOVE IT!