Friday, May 28, 2010

My First Quilt Festival!


One year ago I never would have imagined I would be sewing in a league of such talented people!

The extent of my sewing was making some very simple valances for our windows.
I was intimidated by the sheer thought of changing the foot on my sewing machine.

I just admired others' work, wishing to be like them...
longing to share this common thread with my mother.

There was a latent desire deep in my heart & these beautiful people inspired and encouraged me to bring it to life:
An Ordinary Life
Philigry
The Sometimes Crafter

Thank you!
Your inspiration and encouragement have given me the most fabulous gift anyone can share with another....
Passion
Motivation
Joy
Pride
Accomplishment

I have made...
Mimi's Mustard...
Aquamarine...
Abby Chic...

And...

pieced, quilted, and hand bound one quilt for my son.

The last one for my son is the one I chose to share with you today.
It was my first experience free motion quilting something other than a practice table runner.

I stitched, un-stitched, re-stitched, cursed under my breath, bled from needle pokes,
BUT
I conquered it!

A fire has been lit
and
an obession has been fueled.

So here I am...
five years after I lost my mother, sharing her passion.
I hope she is proud of me.
I wish we could have shared it together.

SO without further ado...
I introduce you to:
AJ's cover quilt!

Blast Off is its name.
(I name everything. Go ahead, make fun of me. I am okay with that.)
I learned...
with Determination...
Passion...
& Perseverance...
I can be one of the people I so admire.

18 comments:

Little Island Quilting said...

Fantastic quilt - love the colours

Jessaca said...

I have a tears in my eyes. Mom would have been so proud. And it's like something out of a magazine!

Zlaty said...

Very pretty quilt! You did an amazing job! I also love the bright colors!

Happy sewing!

Katie B said...

I know your mom would be proud! I love this quilt. I made a quilt for my son not long ago using a lot of these same fabrics. And I just posted some mini robot quilts on my blog! Check them out.

Brenda L. Greenwald said...

Oh, wow! You did such a great job! Hooray, Chance!

Lisa said...

I love it! You are such a great crafter and you inspire me. Keep up the bold, bright and excellent work you're known for. I'm sure AJ loves his cover quilt!

Sarah said...

very cute. Love the back too!

Leslie said...

you have much to be proud of with this quilt. it is so pretty. i really love it. it is so pretty. stipple free motion is something i have not been able to figure out. it scares me.

erin lebeau said...

awesome quilt -such great fabrics!!! love love love it!! http://erinlebeau.blogspot.com/

mary said...

Nice quilt. I love the colors.

BJ said...

Lovely. Great quilt.

Quiltpiecer said...

Love it! Keep up the good work!

Carol said...

I love the fabrics you chose and that you made a pillow to match. Very cheerful and fun looking.

Julia said...

Love the colors, love the quilt, love the pillow, love the backing, love the name, love the striped binding. It's out of this world!! You inspired me.

rebecs said...

I love your quilt. so cute on the bed. great pictures. I too shared those same feelings when i first started quilting.

janet said...

That is lovely. And I'm sure your mom is proud of you.

Eileen said...

very bright quilt with lovely colors and fabrics. i love the name. thanks for sharing

Laurel H. said...

That is a really nice quilt! And what a beautiful story; your mom would be proud of you, of course.