Friday, August 13, 2010

Cottage Cheese and Sun Tools

So after dramatically limping around for a week from his last vaccination,
AJ was not too thrilled to go to the doctor today for a look into his lovely hacking cough.

As we drug a kicking screaming child across the parking lot of the doctor's office,
I did what any good parent does in desperation...

I bribed him.

I said, "If you stop freaking out and be a good boy, you can pick a treat when we leave."
nice....I know....you do what you got to do.
Don't judge me.

As I am praying that he does not say something God awful like Chuck E Cheese's...
the child calmly says, "Okay, cottage cheese. I want cottage cheese."

Cottage cheese it is.
You drive a hard bargain, you manipulative little kid.

So the promised cottage cheese brought me to King Soopers tonight...
where I found myself fumbling to carry excessive random items in my arms
with a four year old child who accurately told me the fruit snacks were by the bread
and refused to carry anything in his basket
other than his Dora fruit snacks and pineapple cream cheese.

This is my life people.

Upon leaving the store AJ asked me why the wind was trying to blow his receipt away.

Me: "Because it is strong."

AJ: "Why?"

Me: "I don't know, because weather is strong."
(I know, I'm a genius.)

AJ: "Why is weather strong?"

Me: "Because God made it strong."

AJ: "Why did God make it strong."

Me: "To move the air around."

AJ: "Why does the air need to move around?"

Me: "So it is not so hot outside."

you guessed it....

AJ: "Why is it hot outside?"

Me: "Because the sun is hot."

AJ: "Why is the sun hot?"

Me: "Because it is a big ball of firey gas."

AJ: "Why is it a ball of firey gas?"

Me: "Because God made it that way."

AJ: "How did he do that?"

Me: "I don't know...with his hands."

AJ: "Oh no! But he could burn his hands!"

Me: silent

AJ: " I know! He used his sun tools!"

Me: "Yes, AJ you are right, he used his sun tools."

AJ: silent

Me: "Now, go eat your cottage cheese."

AJ: "The throat tickle from the doctor did not make me feel better."

Me: "I know...but your cottage cheese will."

AJ: "I love you to the moon and back mom."

& suddenly all the kicking, screaming, bribing, and answering why after an exhausting week in my truly chaotic working mom life felt

simply perfect.

3 comments:

Brenda L. Greenwald said...

Oh....love that boy. Thank you for sharing this conversation at the end of a very trying week. AJ did just the trick!

Jessaca said...

Sun tools. He's so smart! I made JL watch it and he thought it was hysterical.

Kristin Hayne said...

I just adore you!! That is total and utter motherhood!! LOVE it!!