Monday, September 1, 2008

Grilling Hot Dogs In The Mountains and Blowing Chunks on I-70



















Well, we had an adventurous day with Aunt Jess in the mountains.  We always plan a rustic day trip up to the mountains...secretly hoping to win her heart over and convince her to move out to Colorado.  

I'm pretty sure this trip did not help our case.  

We started out with a nice drive up to Echo Lake with our water bottles in hand and smores fixins all packed in back, spotting several deer along the way.  Once we are at the lake, Andy grills some hot dogs to enjoy with our juice boxes, we eat, hike a bit, take pictures, let AJ feed the ducks, and head back down the mountain deciding to have our smores back at the house...Jess has a head ache and AJ seems tired and not really into the mountain hiking experience.  

About 30 minutes down the mountain, Aunt Jess and AJ are passed out in the back seat...I'm thinking about enjoying some gooey, chocolatey smores when we get home...and then this awful sound from the back seat lurches me out of my day dream.  As I turn around the sound just intensifies and everyone in the car is alert now.  Poor little AJ woke up from his nap throwing up...once...twice...now it's even coming out of his nose...Andy swiftly jerks the car from the far left lane of the highway to an abrupt stop on the right shoulder...AJ still projecting vomit at the back of my seat...I fling off my seat beat, fly out of the car, grab him out of his vomit soaked car seat and we lean into the ditch.  AJ and I are covered in AJ's last two days of semi-digested food and he still has no idea what just happened to him.  At the young age of 2, he had never thrown up before.  He just laid his head on me, looking up at me with his big blue eyes in misery, pleading momma what just happened?  Eventually we get him changed into fresh clothes, wipe down the car seat...and are back on the road.  Thanks goodness for packing an extra set of clothes and deciding to take the entire box of wipes just in case.  

And that was that...he was back to his happy, happy go lucky self.  By the time we got home he ran in the house enthusiastically shouting choo-choo as he grabbed his trains.  Daddy's car required some serious clean up, mom headed for a shower after helping dad disassemble the car seat that may never be the same & doing an emergency load of laundry, AJ ended up getting a mid-afternoon bath, and Jess retired to her room for a nap.  Needless to say...we have now postponed our smores till the weekend and I'm pretty sure Jess isn't moving right out to Colorado.  

3 comments:

Katlyn said...

The picture of you and Jess is adorable!

Katlyn said...

BTW - I just checked out that Inspirational Jewelry link and it is amazing! I totally want a necklace.

Kristy said...

I checked out your blog the other day & figured I'd come back & "de-lurk!" :)

Sounds like a wild trip! Glad to hear your son recovered quickly. Isn't it crazy how kids can get sick/well so quickly??

I LOVE your fall decorations! I love the fall, too, but in my neck of the woods, it doesn't get too cool until Nov/Dec. Our winter doesn't truly get here until Jan.!

I love the pumpkins, leaves, etc. I like to put them up early & leave until Thanksgiving.